Medication Addiction Treatment: Eliminating Narcotics from Your Pain Management Program
First of all, please understand this: if you’ve become addicted or dependent on opioids, it doesn’t make you a bad person.
Sometimes we see individuals for medication addiction treatment and they are depressed, feeling as if they are somehow “bad” or “irresponsible people” for being reliant on these powerful, habit-forming drugs (which isn’t the case).
Opioids are powerful medications. It is very easy to accidentally abuse them and become dependent on them day in and day out. If you try to go “cold turkey” and come off of the medications entirely, difficult withdrawal symptoms can set in.
So, if you are in the Detroit area, and are looking for a way to conquer your prescription medication addiction and treat your pain without using harmful medications, Neuro Pain Consultants is here for you. We provide a medication detox program to help you get off of your pain medications, eliminate dependency, and effectively cope with withdrawal symptoms.
Some shocking statistics on pain medication addiction
Here are a few alarming statistics, which illustrate just how important it is to find a viable pain treatment plan that incorporates only minimal use of opioid medications:
- According to this CDC article on the pain medications epidemic in the United States, 44 people die each day due to prescription pain killer overdose.
- This amounts to over 16,000 people per year, and that doesn’t include the hundreds of thousands more who suffer from addiction and simply cannot find a way out.
- Recent statistics show that in 2013 over 2 million Americans abused prescription painkillers, and that in the last 15 years, the amount of painkillers prescribed by doctors for the treatment of pain has nearly quadrupled, with little, if any overall effect on the pain that people are experiencing.
How do I know if I’m addicted?
Here are a few signs that you should look out for:
- Feeling no pain
- Running out of pills before your next prescription
- Small pupils
- Inappropriate feelings of euphoria caused by medication
- Slurred speech
- Poor judgement
- A feeling of being “somewhere else” during conversation
And more. If you are on pain medications or are experiencing any of the above signs of addiction, it is important to get evaluated by a doctor who understands the symptoms, and who can provide you with a pain treatment protocol that reduces or eliminates your medication.
I’m in pain. How do I treat it without prescription drugs?
Most people think that relieving pain comes down to two options: surgery or drugs. At Neuro Pain Consultants, we are here to tell you this simply isn’t the case. There are a variety of treatments for pain that do not involve the use of opioids, such as:
- Dilaudid (hydromorphone)
- Percocet, Percodan, OxyContin (oxycodone)
- Vicodin, Lorcet, Lortab (hydrocodone)
- Demerol (pethidine)
- Duragesic (fentanyl)
Instead, our unique approach to treating pain involves a variety of integrated therapies, such as:
- Relaxation techniques
- Physical therapy
- Nerve block injections
- Detoxification programs to get off of prescription pain medications
- Coping with physical dependency and withdrawal symptoms
- Suboxone to treat opiate addiction
And more. If you are dependent solely on medications to treat your pain, we want to show you a better, healthier way of treating your pain.
What do I do now?
If you are dependent on pain medications, and are struggling with addiction, we can help. While many doctors are “pill happy” and think that dousing someone in medication bottles will solve their problems, we know from experience this simply isn’t the case.
Pain medications are habit forming, and when used incorrectly can impact your life in a very negative manner. At Neuro Pain Consultants, with locations in Bloomfield Hills, Clarkston, Shelby Township, Troy, and West Bloomfield Township, we want to show you a conservative approach to pain care that doesn’t rely on heavy use of opioids.
We can provide psychological therapy, as well as a variety of integrated treatments to help manage your pain without the habit-forming medications. So what are you waiting for? Pick up the phone and call us today, or find our location nearest you here.